Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Recent stuffs

Lately I've been dipping my toe, well the whole foot really, in some porcelain work. It all started when Marco and Anna asked to register for the wedding with me, but just wanted simple white pieces. So here are some of the fruits.



Below are some teapots that need decoration. I'm thinking a little bit more than just the lines at the rim; we'll see what happens. This is the first time I've made quote-un-quote blue and white wares. I feel like I've always thought of it as selling out in a way or felt like I was supposed to think that, but it doesn't feel like selling out. I'm really enjoying adding the lines to the simple shapes. I just lay down some wax on the leather hard pieces, scratch through with a needle tool, paint on a slip/stain and wipe away the excess. I use a banding wheel which slows down and accentuates hesitations and slight movements while scratching through the wax. I really like the quality of that line, the way it wavers and seems a bit more alive.
I'd love to hear any feedback you might have be it about form, pointers on handle placement or on working with porcelain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my feedback on the form is i like the form and the handles too. they are very unique looking teapots, really like the tall straight piece in the first photo too

RobCartelli said...

Thanks Jim! That tall pitcher came out pretty well. That form is inspired by those medieval tall narrow jugs of England.