Thursday, October 2, 2008

Orv Wright burns number 138

Last week was a busy one with prepping for the Clayworks' kiln rebuild (photos and more coming on that) and recovering from a cold while working. It was made even busier with a couple of night-time stoking shifts thrown in the mix as well. But busying oneself with the stoking of a friend's kiln is the best kind of busy I know. Orv Wright is a generous mentor and a bad-ass potter. I've been lucky enough to be a part of his firing crew for a couple years and it's always a pleasure. As an added bonus my pots from the previous post were in the kiln and ready for the heat.
On Thursday I started the wood stoking around eight pm and listened to the BBC for five or so hours while a distinct nip developed in the air. I had to shut the radio off around 11 when I realized I was grinding my teeth to McCain soundbytes.
Here's Orv taking over the stoking at 1am or around 1200 degrees for the night haul.
Here's Sorry about the poor quality of the photos, but their from my celli; although I kinda like the pink and purple in this snap looking into the main firebox. It looks a little ghostly, no?

There's the whole of the beast from the front. This was Orv's one hundred and thirty-eighth firing. Damn, that's a lotta mud.
Pictures of the unloaded pots will be forthcoming.


2 comments:

Alex Matisse said...

Hey Rob, its good so see how things are going up there. I would love to come up some time and hang out for a day next time I am in New England. Im thinking about moving back up that way in a year or so. I would also love to fire Malcolm's kiln. I stopped by there a year or so ago and he showed me about. Take care,
Alex

RobCartelli said...

Alex,
Vermont kicks total butt, I recommend it to all.
I'm sure Malcolm would be open to an extra set of well-seasoned hands at his kiln.
Next time you're in the area give a call (802-249-6411) and we can wax ceramical.
-Rob